Yesterday, we heard a great message on Biblical planning at IBC.
Y'all know I love planning, and I really liked this sermon for a number of reasons. I just wanted to share the basic points with you. The main reading came from the first two chapters of Nehemiah.
Biblical Perspectives on Planning
1. God is a planner.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (my fave verse! I love it)
2. Since I am made in God's image, God expects me to plan.
"We should make plans- counting on God to direct us" Prov. 16:9
"Plan carefully what you do, and whatever you do will turn out right." Prov. 4:26
"But everything should be done in a fitting and orderly way." 1 Cor. 14:40
3. Planning is spiritual work.
"He gave him the plans of all that the Spirit had put in his mind...'All this,' David said, 'I have in writing from the hand of the Lord upon me, and he gave me understanding in all the details of the plan." 1 Chronicles 28:11-19
Myth: "If something happens unexpectedly, it is more spiritual than if it is planned."
4. I should make plans with a spirit of humility and on-going dependence on God because GOD IS IN CONTROL AND I AM NOT. (emphasis added at the end by um...me) Also, my understanding of God's plan can be wrong.
"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can success against the Lord." Prov 21:30
"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps." Prov 16:9
A pattern for profitable planning
1. Pray First- Nehemiah 1:4
2. Think it through- Neh. 1:1-2:1
3. Prepare for opportunity Neh. 2:1-3
4. Establish a definite goal Neh. 2:4-5
5. Establish a timeline Neh 2:6
6. Anticipate the problems Neh 2:7, Proverbs 22:3, 27:12
7. Calculate the cost Neh. 2:8, Luke 14:28
8. Take action based on the plan Neh. 2:9
9. Give all the credit to God Neh. 2:8
Lastly, the pastor encouraged us to plan for growth in the following areas this year:
I am definitely working on these plans now and will share with y'all at some point. :)
What do you all think about this? What are YOU planning for?